How do I get my Drinking Water Tested?
There are a few issues to consider before deciding what is the best way to get your water tested.
If you are applying for a grant under the Individual Domestic Well Grant Scheme, then the local authority may require that the water sample is taken by staff from the laboratory. In this case, phone the office on 0214384200 to arrange a suitable time for the sample collection. Please note that there is an additional charge based on the travel time from our base near Blarney.
If you want to do a routine test to make sure that your water is wholesome and safe to drink, then we can post out a sample kit with instructions. You can then take the sample yourself and either drop the sample back to the office or send it by post (avoid posting samples at the end of the week as they could get delayed in transit over the weekend).
The standard test that we run includes the following individual tests:
- Coliform bacteria
- E.coli bacteria
- Colony counts at 22°C and 37°C
- Total dissolved solids
- Total alkalinity
- Total hardness
This suite of tests will give you a good overview of your drinking water quality and covers all of the parameters required for a local authority grant application. It costs €140 (inclusive of VAT) if you want us to post you out a sample kit.
When you have received your water sampling kit, follow the instructions below for taking a standard drinking water sample:
- The water is usually taken from the kitchen tap.
- Wash hands thoroughly.
- Clean the inside of the rim of the tap with a disinfectant wipe or a cotton bud soaked in Milton or methylated spirit.
- Pour boiling water over tap to remove bacterial contamination.
- Let tap run for 3-5 minutes.
- Label bottle with sample location, date, and time before filling.
- Quickly fill bottle, avoid touching the top or lid, and seal tightly.
- Complete the Customer Analysis Request Form in as much detail as possible.
- Return the sample with the completed form to Science Direct Ltd., Unit 7 Monard Glen, Rathpeacon, Co. Cork T23 HN8W